The Financial Markets Lab enhances student learning and research capabilities at RSBC by providing students hands-on experience with the tools needed to compete in the fast-paced world of financial markets. The Bloomberg Professional® service, a key component, provides access to the same financial market data, news, research, and analytics accessed “around the clock” by central banks, commercial banks, investment institutions, corporations, government agencies, law firms, and news organizations worldwide. Access to Training Technologies Software, deepens student understanding of the operation of financial markets by providing hands-on experience in making and implementing tactical trading decisions in varied market environments. The lab is an RSBC investment that redefines the student learning experience by expanding opportunities for the experiential learning needed to develop future business leaders.
Major? Minor? Neither?Not a Finance Major? No problem. The Financial markets lab can benefit you as a Rutgers student whether you’re a major, minor or neither. The lab has multiple opportunities to learn with workshops every week and open time slots to learn independently with our training aids.
Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC)
BMC is a sixteen-hour, self-paced e-learning course that introduces students to important financial markets concepts while demonstrating numerous Bloomberg functions. BMC consists of eight (8) interactive video modules: Economic Indicators, Currencies, Fixed Income, Equities, Getting Started on the Terminal, Portfolio Management, Stock Options, and Commodities. The modules give you a flavor of what is possible on the terminal and how finance professionals think about the economy and financial markets.
- Certification: Bloomberg provides a certificate of completion if you complete all eight modules. Once you have completed all Bloomberg Market Concepts Certification exams, use the appropriate website link to access a PDF file containing your BMC Certificate. Once you have saved your certificate, please email a copy to Bloomberg.Certificates@camden.rutgers.edu.
- Digital Badge: Students who score 80% or higher on all four of the BMC Core Concepts exams (Economic Indicators, Currencies, Fixed Income, and Equities) earn Rutgers’s Bloomberg – BMC Core Concepts digital badge. For more information, see: https://www.youracclaim.com/org/rutgers/badge/bloomberg-tm-bmc-core-concepts.
BMC Lab Hours and Remote Access
Spring 2023 Semester Lab Hours
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 9:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Lab is available for your use during the above hours, except when classes, workshops, or special events are scheduled in the Lab.
SPECIAL EVENTS SCHEDULED IN LAB (TO BE ANNOUNCED):
Rutgers Women of Business Alliance (RWBA) Meetings: During Scheduled Free Period
CLASSES SCHEDULED IN LAB
Finance 301 Section 01: Monday/Wednesday at 9:35 am – 10:55 am
Finance 310 Section 01: Monday/Wednesday at 2:05 pm – 3:25 pm
Finance 464: Tuesday/Thursday at 8:00 am – 9:20 am
Finance 301 Section 03: Tuesday/Thursday at 9:35 am – 10:55 am
Finance 315: Tuesday/Thursday at 11:10 am – 12:30 pm
Finance 435: Tuesday/Thursday at 2:00 pm – 3:20 pm
To help students prepare for the Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC) exams, we have produced a series of training videos. To access these videos, use the following link to enroll in the Bloomberg Market Concepts Workshops Canvas site: https://rutgers.instructure.com/enroll/EEF8W3
SPRING 2023 WORKSHOPS
“Introduction” to the Bloomberg Professional Terminal
Monday, Jan. 30 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Economic Indicators – Exam # 1 Training
Monday, Feb. 6 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Currencies – Exam # 2 Training
Monday, Feb. 13 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Fixed Income – Exam #3 Training (Part 1)
Monday, Feb. 20 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Fixed Income – Exam #3 Training (Part 2)
Monday, Feb. 27 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Equities – Exam # 4 Training (Part I)
Monday, March 20 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, March 21 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
Bloomberg Mkt. Concepts Exam Prep.: Equities – Exam # 4 Training (Part II)
Monday, March 27 at 11:20 am – 12:20 pm
Tuesday, March 28 at 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm
* Bloomberg Market Concepts Exam training workshops cover identical material in each “weekday cycle (Mon. through Fri.),” so students can attend these training workshops in any weekday cycle at convenient dates/times to fit their schedules.
RSBC students have free web access to BMC courses and exams. Please use the following Class Code during the BMC process: 5TBYGWX3SH, which will be valid through August 18, 2023.
- Users WITHOUT a Bloomberg for Education account may sign-up for a Learner account using their school email address at: https://portal.bloombergforeducation.com/register (Links to an external site).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students that are asked for their credit card information should contact Bloomberg for Education at firstname.lastname@example.org to prevent an unnecessary charge.
- Users WITH a Bloomberg for Education account tied to their university e-mail can login with their username and password at: https://portal.bloombergforeducation.com/login (Links to an external site).
Questions and Support
For additional questions on remote access to the Terminals, please e-mail Bloomberg for Education (email@example.com)
For any other lab-related questions, please contact the Financial Markets Lab Manager:
Ralph Giraud, M.S.
Instructor of Professional Practice, Finance
Rutgers School of Business–Camden
227 Penn Street / Room: BSB 411
Work Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org